- Bletchley Park - Colossus Rebuild
- Eaton 9130 End Of Life Notification
- Harland Simon to supply UPS to Servowatch for IPMS critical back up power protection
- A UPS does so much more......
- Commercial & Industrial "MARINE UPS" Protected Power Solutions
- Harland ProtectUPS - MTA DNV GL TYPE APPROVAL
- IP54 & IP55 Protected Power Solutions
- DSEi 2017
- UPS for a Ship's Drilling System
- Hybrid Energy
- UPS for Integrated Platform Management System
- UPS for Ship's Thrusters
- Ship Dynamic Postioning
- BAe FEEC Latest
- Eaton EOL Notification
- MK College Apprenticeships
- Celebrating 20 Years of UPS Power Protection Business
- ECDIS Marine UPS BackUp
- Current Job Vacancies
Why a UPS system is critical for continuous operation of ship's thrusters
Thrusters on a ship or offshore rig are used for accurate manoeuvring and maintenance of position and are critical to the dynamic positioning system.
The Azimuth Thruster can rotate 360° and is often used for main propulsion whereas a Bow or Stern Thruster mounted in a tunnel can be retracted into the hull after duty.
Controlled from the bridge, the directions are given remotely to the thrusters but if there is a remote failure, a manual method for changing the pitch can be operated from the thruster room.
If the power to the electric thrusters should fail for any reason then a rugged UPS designed specifically for the harsh environment within the depths of a marine vessel is a requirement.
According to DNV Ship rules Pt.6 Ch.7 – Dynamic Positioning Systems document states “The battery installed for each UPS shall be able to provide output power at maximum load for 30 minutes after loss of charger input power. Loss of charger input power and UPS on bypass power shall initiate an alarm in the DP-control system.”(E103 Control System Power Supply).
The Harland ProtectUPS® - MTA (DNV-GL) is built to IP54 standards and the battery autonomy ranges from 5 – 60 minutes.
The NEW Harland ProtectUPS® - MTA (DNV-GL) range of marine type approved DNV-GL certified IP54 integrated UPS systems offer comprehensive power protection and battery backup for a range of marine based applications including support for dynamic positioning systems.
Please call the office to discuss your options or for further information on the ProtectUPS® MTA click here